The Minister for Corrections, Peter Malinauskas, will be visiting the Uniting Communities Aboriginal Community Connect service at 196 Prospect Rd Prospect on 22 May at 9am. The visit will focus on Aboriginal Community Connect current experience and gaps in services within Aboriginal communities.
“We will be highlighting the importance of consistency in service support for Indigenous services since building trusting relationships is crucial to success. Prevention and early intervention services are extremely important in supporting Aboriginal young people at risk of offending, early school leaving and with misuse of alcohol and other drugs (AOD),” said Ruth Tulloch, Service Manager of Aboriginal Community Connect.
Other topics to be raised with the Minister include:
- the need for AOD treatment responses to address how substance misuse impacts on Aboriginal families, including young parents, not just the individual.
- increasing support to Aboriginal parents for longer term rehabilitation, as healing can involve reconnecting to culture and addressing trauma.
- building community capacity to provide wrap around social and emotional wellbeing services to young people and build resilience.
- housing needs for Aboriginal people from remote communities, who are travelling to Adelaide often for medical, domestic violence, and family connection reasons.
- the importance of Aboriginal cultural specialist case management services to work with rough sleepers and in addressing the underlying causes of homelessness, utilising cultural healing practices.
Aboriginal Community Connect provides a range of support services for Aboriginal persons aged 21 and over, who want to make changes to their alcohol and other drug(s) substance misuse. The service has a strong focus on supporting families and their communities. The service offers support for problems associated with social isolation; poverty and disadvantage; housing; the effects of other trauma and physical and mental health. The service’s delivery locations are Murray Mallee Lands, Riverland, Lime Stone Coast regions and North West suburbs of Adelaide.
“We are delighted that the Minister is willing to meet with Aboriginal Community Connect to explore the constructive outcomes that people are experiencing in their lives and to consider solutions to the problems that we regular encounter,” said Ms Tulloch.
Ruth Tulloch, Service Manager
Aboriginal Community Connect
M: 0427 536 612
Ph: 08 8202 5666