Does the Homelessness Gateway Service (HGS) offer housing?

HGS does not have its own housing or shelter facilities. HGS can provide referral to shelter/emergency accommodation in some circumstances. HGS can always provide referrals for clients to Specialist Homelessness Services that provide case management support.

Can HGS provide food support or transport?

HGS does not provide food or transport support to general public.

What do I do if I see someone sleeping rough (on the street, in a park, out the front of a building)?

If the person:

  • is located in the city (Adelaide), Street To Home has an outreach service available from 6am – 9pm, 7 days a week. Their number is 1800 811 180.
  • is outside of the city area and has access to a phone, HGS (1800 003 308) can speak with them to assess their situation and provide a referral to Specialist Harmlessness Services for case management support.
  • does not have access to a phone, but can access a phone box, you could give them the HGS number (1800 003 308) and advise them that it is a free call, 24/7 service.
  • does not look well, call an ambulance on 000 so that they can complete a medical assessment.

Please note that HGS does not provide an outreach service so is unable to go to see or meet people.

I am a Housing SA tenant and am having problems with my neighbours. Can HGS help?

HGS staff can offer advice  and referral to appropriate services to support you. If the incident escalates, please call the Police on 131 444 or 000 in an emergency.

I have just moved from interstate and have no family or friends in South Australia – can HGS help?

We understand that moving to a new city can seem daunting. Ideally, staying with people you know, or finding and booking suitable temporary accommodation ahead of time is the best option.

However, where appropriate, HGS can provide referral to a Specialist Homelessness Service for case management support, and information on or referral to Housing SA. We can also give you the names/locations of some affordable short-term accommodation options.


What do I do if I live in a Housing SA property and have a maintenance issue?

Please call 131 288 or visit Housing SA to find your local Housing SA office number.