From 1 September 2018, COTA SA will be taking up delivery of the Silver Rainbow Inclusivity Training to aged care providers across South Australia. The training will be delivered by older LGBTI people who have been on an Advisory Group for the LGBTIQ People Ageing Well project. They bring their lived experiences and a wealth of training/facilitation experience to this work. Please email COTA SA for more information.
Older LGBTI* people may find it difficult to be open about their sexuality or gender identity, often fearful of receiving poor or discriminatory treatment because of it.
Our free, comprehensive workplace training will encourage better understanding of the needs of LGBTI people. It will provide staff with more confidence to deliver an inclusive, best practice service to LGBTI individuals, their partners, families and the wider community.
LGBTI Aged Care Training is a national initiative delivered in South Australia by Uniting Communities and managed through the National LGBTI Health Alliance. Course material has been created by the AIDS Council of NSW (ACON), in collaboration with LGBTI community members and workers across the country.
About the training
The training seeks to raise awareness about issues facing the LGBTI community, challenge stereotypes and myths related to this community, and enable these learnings to be applied in professional service delivery. Facilitators create a safe and non-judgemental learning space and encourage participants to ask questions and raise concerns as a part of the learning experience.
- increased confidence and competence for staff in providing inclusive and appropriate care to LGBTI people
- professional development opportunities for all staff by facilitators who have lived experience as LGBTI community members
- positive cultural and attitude shifts towards LGBTI clients and the wider community.
- Full-day session (7.5 hrs): This session raises awareness of the LGBTI community for those with a limited knowledge of this topic. It aims to build a better understanding of terminology and the diversity of this community, explore issues experienced by older LGBTI people, and support participants in how to apply this knowledge within the workplace.
- Half-day intensive (4 hrs): This session supports staff at all levels who have prior knowledge of the LGBTI community. It covers topics similar to those in the full-day session, but with a greater focus on inclusive practice and what this means for LGBTI people. A moderate level of prior knowledge of LGBTI terminology and concepts is assumed.
Both training formats include videos, group discussions and reflective exercises. A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to each participant upon completion of the session.
* This acronym is used to describe the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex communities